Sunday, January 30, 2011

28 July 1934

A wise man once said that anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
My life is living up to that statement.  

Tony was so distressed after the murder of his brother that he and I decided to leave Germany as quickly as we could and head to Austria. I knew of a distant relative that I had there, his name was Engelbert Dollfuss, and he is now dead.

Austria was never on the plans for me, because I already knew where Engelbert fell on my family tree and didn’t have much interest in spending weeks there. Alas, with the death of poor Tony’s dear brother it was the first place I thought of that we could really get away quickly and be guaranteed somewhere to stay. However, this was probably the worst choice I have ever made. We got here a few days ago to find out that Engelbert had been assassinated by a group of Nazis of Regiment 89. It is bad enough that the Nazis seem to follow me everywhere that I go, but back home in Italy there have been uprisings because of Engelbert’s death . . . we received news the other day that our good friend Arturo was killed in one of these uprisings. We are truly worried, for our friends, for our family, and for the country that I have come to call home. We are worried for the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment