Monday, January 31, 2011

5 October 1938


It is not easy for me to admit this, but I will. My life is in shambles.

Again I apologize for the time it has been since I last wrote; my life has been such a whirlwind of so many events that I haven’t found the time to record these things. To start off, you should know that Tony and I are no longer together. After his brother’s death in Germany, he and I fled to Austria, and things didn’t turn out to be much better there. He would steal away into the night at least three times a week, and when I found out what he was up to I had no choice but to leave him. I mean, I know that he was the head of the mafia in Naples, but I thought he was a changed man. Turns out, he wasn’t.

So, I left once more, leaving mean old Toothless Tony to fend for himself in a life of drugs and war. I was not sure where I would go, all I knew was that I had to get away, and fast. I ended up fleeing to Czechoslovakia assuming no one would find me there. I needed an escape. For so long now I feel like I have been running from wherever I am, but I think that is just how my life is going to be. In an attempt to stop this, I settled down a bit and got myself a job at a local shop, seeing as Auntie Mabel's money is long gone from my pocket.

A little while after I arrived in the country, I received a phone call. It was from a man by the name of Mr. Neville Chamberlain. At the time he was working in England as counsellor of the exchequer; he told me he would soon be Prime Minister. Wondering why he was calling me, he told me that he had heard of my adventures through Europe and had read my blogs, and wanted to tell me that he was my father’s long lost brother. Under any normal circumstances I would have rolled on the floor laughing, but given the state of things, I knew he was right. Besides, the moustache speaks for itself.

I have been keeping up regular conversation with Neville for quite some time now, but things have become quite terse in recent months. Initially I agreed with his views on having to stop Hitler and his rise to power, because war would be the worst thing for this world. However, Neville seems to think that his is the only opinion that matters, and a few days ago he agreed to a shameful thing; a few days ago the Munich Agreement was formulated. Now, the country that I have been living in for years has succumbed to the powers of the Nazis, and Sudetenland is slave to their powers as well. Here at home people are enraged; we had no participation in this “agreement”. I don’t regard it as an agreement, I see it as Hitler’s gradual ascension to ultimate evil, and it saddens me that Czechoslovakia, once a great country, has begun to fall as well.

I wonder where Tony is now . . . Austria is one with Germany now, thanks to the Anschluss. I try not to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment