Thursday, January 13, 2011

30 July 1930

© Majahem Squilm
Time to depart! This morning I woke up to the sound of squawking chickens and the smell of burning oatmeal on the stove. My brother, Majahem, has never been good at the daily making of the oatmeal . . . I forgive him, though, for all he has done for us. After Mom ran away with the circus and Dad went away to fight, it has been hard to make a living. I myself found a safe haven in the ladies at the Chesapeake-Potomac Telephone Company. I am one of them now; I call myself a "flapper". It will be hard to depart on my own, without them . . . my dress won't feel quite as silky, my hair-bun will feel just a bit too tight. Majahem has been finding work on the streets. He has wonderful talent as a painter, but unfortunately because of the recent shortage of money in these parts, he hasn't been selling much. But I think that he's just wonderful, so these hard times won't last long for us. While I'm away he will be working even more than usual. 

 I depart today at . Thank God the ship will have wifi so that I can blog my feelings (gratuitous historical anachronism here). I am clinging onto my boat ticket like I am holding onto my ticket to freedom, and I hope this becomes true. I am truly excited, and am carrying an old pearl necklace that was given to me by Aunt Mabel, so that she will be with me throughout this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment